For iGEM 2009 teams are asked to detail how they approached any issues of biological safety associated with their projects.
Specifically, teams should consider the following four questions:
- Would any of your project ideas raise safety issues in terms of:
- researcher safety,
- public safety, or
- environmental safety?
- Is there a local biosafety group, committee, or review board at your institution?
- What does your local biosafety group think about your project?
- Do any of the new BioBrick parts that you made this year raise any safety issues?
- If yes, did you document these issues in the Registry?
Teams, please document any answers to these (or other) safety questions in your presentation, wiki presentation, or poster.
Judges will be asked to evaluate your project, in part, on the basis of if and how you considered and addressed issues of biological safety.
If any questions arise regarding iGEM and biological safety please send an email to safety AT igem.org.